Sometimes I get dance sick. Like the feeling of home sickness but like a knot in my stomach that then spreads to a full body ache. I feel the wave of nausea flood over me ever few months or so, it usually happens after watching dance television show, talking with or thinking about someone on Pacific Ballroom Dance, watching dancing kids on youtube (one of Belize's favorite things to do) or just watching the pure joy on Belize's face as she dances around our living room. I won't lie, I cry when I watch people dance, there are not a lot of things more beautiful and when I think about dancing, I mean, me- dancing, I feel sick to my stomach. I've come to accept that dancing is part of how I feel happiness, the height of my outward expression- I miss it. But do you know what? Every time I take a moment to enjoy my children, watch their beautiful faces, feel their soft skin, kiss their little cheeks. I am blown away by how much Heavenly Father loves me and how much I love them and how I wouldn't trade them for anything- even a perfectly executed samba roll (and let me tell ya, those are pretty delicious like creamy cheesecake). 

My Grandma Gregg gave me a wood sign to hang on my wall, it reads, "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass . . . . it's learning to dance in the rain." So I guess I'm learning a new dance, the dance of life- full of twists and turns, solos, duets and group numbers, balance, beauty, and grace.
8 comments:
i really enjoyed this post Shauna. today as I put on some world salsa music, i felt that knot in my stomach too - i miss it. but you're so right - we're definitely learning to dance in the rain now. someday our hubbies will become awesome dancers! also, to respond to your comment on our blog, are you serious? baby hungry? even though the baby stage isn't your fave?
cool ,love this post!!! , can Grandma Gregg make the Bookstaber family a sign.....:)
Great post! I am not a dancer, but I understand perfectly what you are saying. I am sure going to miss you and your family!! The expression on Rio's face is just too cute!!
You really know how to express what we all feel! For some it is dance, for others it is running marathons, etc. etc. etc. We trade our blessings for other blessings. Love you~~
oh. you made me a little teary.
beautifully put.
Oh Shauna, I'm sorry it's so painful. Having something you love so much and not being able to do it is incredibly hard and sad. Maybe you can take a class on the side? On a night Brannon is home with the kids? If there is a predictable night he's home! I don't think we should ever completely give up what we love. :-)
I know exactly how you feel! Perfectly stated...I'd always be up for taking a dance class, you in?
oh shauna, i really feel like this sometimes too. i love that quote your grandma gave you! it is perfect!
Post a Comment