I always said I wanted to be a mother. I said so in my "Father's interviews" from the time I was little. I wanted to be a mom but it was always accompanied by another profession. First an artist, then a ballerina, a writer, followed by a BYU Young Ambassador, a BYU Ballroom dancer and finally a professional ballroom dance instructor. Like a lot of young girls, I pictured myself as a mom with a gaggle of kids- only I didn't ACTUALLY picture it- I just said it out loud. Brannon and I were married- we waited awhile until I felt that we had waited long enough and it was time to move on with the next step in our lives- kids.
It wasn't until I had kids that I questioned my previous childhood statement. "I wanted to be a WHAT?" I was sorely unprepared- OUT OF MY LEAGUE. I had shining examples all around me but I felt as though to them, being a mother was second nature. I assumed that at some point in my mothering career that magically my "mother instincts" would kick in and I would revel in my stay-at-home mother calling.
So, I waited . . . and I waited. Yes, I loved my kids but I didn't have the magical feeling I had dreamed of as a little girl. I finally came to the realization that perhaps all little girls weren't born mothers, maybe the instincts would never come. I knew I had to make a choice. And in true Orton fashion (Go big or go home style), I decided either I had to settle for mediocre mom (and settle for the accompanying guilt for the rest of my life) or ROCK IT OUT! I'm not sure what flipped the switch exactly but I can tell you in the past year and a half or so I went from lots of tears & milk to feeling like it is absolutely impossible to have a better job than me!
Some days feel unnaturally long and heaven smiles on my kids's bedtimes. (7:30 folks!) But can I just tell ya, that every morning I wake up, I feel like the luckiest person alive. NO one gets to do what I do. No one else gets to be Belize, Rio and Mayan's mom! I am so blessed to have a husband and father in heaven who supports me in my quest for motherhood, to let me figure out this journey at my own pace, on my own terms.
I truly feel that I was meant for these children and they for me. There is no place I'd rather be than within their grubby little hands' reach. :)
Waiting for our new camera (#6) to come in the mail. I found these on the I-touch.
Dora and Diego
Belize's recital-"Hey Mr. Postman"
Everyone, Rio included, enjoyed the new movie, Brave.
Love my Preciousnesses.
Rock on!



4 comments:
I want to see Belize's recital!!!!
Wow Shauna, your are amazing!
Dad
What a great post! I know the feeling of having children that are meant especially for you. You are such an amazing mom and a role model for me!
I still REALLY want to see video or pictures from Belize's recital!!!
Post a Comment