BabyO passed away around 15 weeks 1 day. We didn't find out until our 18 week autonomy ultrasound. The ultrasound tech left after 30 seconds to get the radiologist, Brannon and I looked at each other- we knew. My thoughts turned to Belize, who was sitting next to me. I focused on her while the Dr. explained that BabyO's heart wasn't beating, it was most likely a chromosomal defect considering the edema around the baby, if there was still some good cells they would be grown and tested. I would have to have a D & E (Dialation & Evacation). No- it wouldn't be til next week, it was friday afternoon and my doctor's office was probably closed. Then he left the room. Brannon cried, I showed Belize how the foot lever to the garbage can worked. I felt like the Lord had been preparing me, preparing me for this moment to be a strong mother for Belize, so that she would not see my sadness, so she wouldn't be scared or worried. However, I've come to realize that no one can prepare to lose a child (nor should they).
Losing an unborn baby is like this:
Guilt
Sadness
Disappointment that all the plans you've made this year revolve around BabyO.
Questions- What would BabyO be like? What would make them smile for the first time? How would BabyO feel snuggled up next to my skin?
Suck it up (do what you need to do, you have responsibilities- your kids and husband need you)
Pray (a lot)
Cry - not at first but for sure when you don't have a church dress that will hide the fact that you are still pregnant and especially when you hide in the shower when your friend comes over to bring you dinner.
Love your other precious darlings, cause they are here and you couldn't imagine life without them. Check on them at night to make sure they are still breathing. Try to remember every toothy smile and dimply grin, just in case you could lose them tomorrow.
Hug your husband cause you realize that you couldn't do this without him.
Talk his ear off about everything baby until you realize you should probably control yourself because this is hurting him too and eventually its healthy to continue your life.
Realize how blessed you are to have two healthy and happy children and an amazing and loving husband.
Confusion. How do I love this child? Do I make BabyO an active memory in our family with our kids or let him/her fade away with time?
Consider Heavenly Father's eternal plan. Plant this experience firmly in your mind with the Atonement and realize that Heaven is sending you countless blessings through your truly wonderful friends (I am eternally grateful for each one of you and your kind words, good deeds, love and support), family and constant feelings of love.
Hard to think that only Brannon and I will really be the ones keeping this baby alive in our memories and holding on to something, we never got hold, to kiss, to love. Loving a memory that we lost but still remembering to hope for the future.
Did this baby's Spirit come to earth, to a warm and nurturing womb, did it stay for just a small moment? Maybe it never came, maybe it is still waiting for another body, a better one, one that will let it experience the wonderfulness of life?
Whatever the case, I pull constant peace from the knowledge that Brannon and I were sealed in the temple with our Father in Heaven presiding. He watched as we were bound not only to each other but to our future family for eternity. My future children, Belize, Rio and BabyO. I will always be my baby's mother and for that I am grateful, for that I have joy.



17 comments:
Shauna, you put everything in words so well! A lot better than I was able to myself...
I have to admit, I laughed and cried at the same time when I read about "hiding in the shower when the friend came to bring dinner." You know I did the same thing too, in the shower of all places!
You are amazing, and you do have such a wonderful family, and what a blessing it is to know that we are sealed for eternity!
Beautifully written Shauna, if something so heartbreaking can be beautiful.
Shauna, my heart just broke when I read this. I truly admire your eternal perspective and optimistic attitude. Thinking of you!
Oh dear Shauna,
Your words are so touching; sad and funny at the same time. I am so sorry for your families loss. I wish there were other words that I could say, but there are not. Only that you are a wonderful person and you and Brannon are loving parents. Your attitude is admirable. We love you guys!
Oh, Shauna. I'm so sorry. I'm glad you wrote this. God bless you and your family.
thinking of you guys!
I'm so sorry. Losing a baby is really hard. Thankfully we have the gospel to help put things back into perspective, eternal perspective.
I'm so sorry. This just tore my heart in two, you are being so brave and it's clear this experience has only made you wiser. We love you and will pray for you and Brannon to have peace and for Belize and Rio to understand the Lord's plan. I'm so sorry sweetie.
Oh Shauna, I have been waiting to hear this post. I have said it before and I will say it again-YOU ARE SO AMAZING! I can't imagine how it must feel to go through this. I am so so sorry:( Although you have two wonderful children and will probably have more future children, noone can replace BabyO. And never feel guilty for feeling sadness! She will always have a special place in your heart. You are so much stronger than I could ever hope to be. Please know I am here for you, and I am always thinking about you:)
I am so sorry. Your family will be in my prayers.
Monica
Oh sweetie, I'm so sorry. My heart is with you. I just miscarried a baby at 9 weeks a few months ago. Your words portrayed everything I felt. Thank you.
Hold to Brannon and your Belize and Rio, they will make you strong. Thank goodness I had my Elli, she's what got me through.
You'll be in my prayers cousin. You are strong and have a testimony of Christ that will carry you through this.
I've been thinking about you a lot lately. It was good to read your thought process. I love you, and the Lord loves you! I'm crying and smiling at the same time.
Shauna, so sorry for your loss. Thank-you for your sharing your thoughts and feelings.
Wow Shauna, I just now checked your blog and read about your loss. Oh, I feel so bad for you...Your post was beautifully written. I have a cousin who just went through a miscarriage as well, my heart goes out to you guys. I know every time I bled, I thought that was it, the moment had come where I was losing my baby. The feeling was shock and disbelief, so I kind of know the feeling, though actually going through and losing the baby, I can only imagine the heartache. I will be praying lots for you. I hope you find the peace that you need during this time. Lots of love to you!
so sorry , sending lots of love to you, :)K
Okay so I FINALLY got to do a blog check, and you just made me cry!!! You are amazing and incredibly strong...love you.
Oh Shauna, I'm so sorry. I'm just now catching up on your wonderful family and read this. I can only think that through the spirit you'll know the answers to your questions. I'll be praying for you. Thank you for sharing your true feelings on the subject.
Post a Comment